Contemporary design tips for your home
With a modern style, a home can go from tired and dull to sophisticated and exciting in no time at all. If you have ever considered giving your space a contemporary face-lift, follow these tips to get started.
- De-clutter – One trademark trait of a contemporary style is the clean, minimalistic look. That is difficult to achieve when there are a lot of knick-knacks, accessories and eclectic items around the home. Make sure everything has a designated spot and keep spare items neatly tucked away.
- Look to the lights – Replace ornate or outdated fixtures with statement pieces like industrial-inspired pendant lights or recessed can lighting.
- Consider the cabinets – Many homes have walls covered in cabinets to store dishes and food items in the kitchen. Taking out the cabinets will open up the space and create a fresh feel. If you need the extra storage space, you can always refinish the cabinets to have flat fronts that either blend into the wall or stand out with a bold accent color.
- Replace hardware – After painting and refinishing, make sure you put the final touches on cabinets and doors by replacing traditional hardware with simple, modern hardware.
- Simple accents – Mirrors, a bold-colored accent wall or a canvas print can all bring some intrigue into the room without overpowering the space.
- Window Treatments – Opt for blinds instead of curtains.
If you are searching for the perfect wall decor to fit into your newly redecorated contemporary home, check out the selection of Italian mosaic prints at Italian Mosaic Art. A canvas print can look stunning on a solid white wall with bold furnishings.